"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Wool finally, lots of knitting, birds and orchids

 After searching for months and months, I have finally found a source of sheep's wool!  There are very few sheep farmers here and of those hardly any of the sheep are sheep breeds with fleeces.  I managed to get my hands on 25kgs of merino!!  The wool is very, very, very dirty and it is going to take me a long time to clean and sort this lot but hopefully I'll be left with a decent amount of wool for spinning.  I really am so very, very pleased!
With my spinning wheel mostly sitting idle, I have been knitting lots.
A doorstop for my aunt's birthday.  Especially requested by my aunt.  I wrapped a brick in a few layers of fabric and then knitted a thick wool cover using my handspun then knitted the tortoise and secured him on top of the covered brick.
 My nephew especially requested a blue giraffe.  I used Linda's (Natural Suburbia) giraffe pattern.   Thanks so much for your beautiful creation, Linda!  A very happy little boy.
 Stunning glossy starlings.
And a quinea fowl.
 A simple vest for Noah using up some of my handspun wool.  He especially wanted penguin buttons sewn on the vest.
Our orchid is flowering.  Such beautiful colours.
And the boys have had great fun sailing boats using these just perfect tree pods!
 



2 comments:

  1. Oh, the penguin buttons are adorable (as is Noah, of course)! And the seed pod boats are brilliant!

    Thank you for sharing what's going on in your hemisphere -- everything looks beautiful. Much love to you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly, how did I miss this post before now. I love your beautiful knitted creations and the boys sailing those boats looks so lovely I want to join in too!

    The orchid is so beautiful and the starlings, S Africa is full of vibrant, uplifting colours in nature x x x

    ReplyDelete