"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Thursday, 3 November 2011

Happy Pumpkin!

We have been eagerly waiting for our silkie chicks to hatch.  For a while I thought none of them would hatch we seemed to be waiting so many days!  We have two broody hens sitting on eggs and since last week we have been waiting eagerly for our chicks to hatch.  Well, what a surprise on Halloween morning to find our first little chick.  Sol came rushing in yelling with joy on discovering the chick! We have called our first chick Pumpkin.  He is so small and beautiful!  How excited the boys were.
Sol made a little nesting box.  Good carpentry skills!  And drew sweet little chicks all around.  They fit into the box perfectly!
 We've moved the mother and chicks into the conservatory to keep warm although they are so warm under their mothers wing.  It is amazing to watch her tuck her chicks safely under her wings. 
We have four altogether now and the fifth has just started cracking through the egg this morning.  
This is the first one we will see in the process of hatching and the boys keep checking besides themselves with excitement.  We can hear the chick chirping away from within the egg!
That will be Alabaster's chicks all hatched and then Snowdrop's four to follow!  Goodness, we'll be overrun with chickens!  The chicks so far are all dark.  I wonder if any will be white like the mothers or lavender grey like the cockerel, Dab-Dab.   

Back to Halloween. 
 Our Halloween pumpkins on Halloween.  Jedi carrying his pumpkin around. 
 Leo loving all the squishy pumpkiny slushiness.  Look, he has lost his two front teeth!!
Later in the day, we bobbed for apples. 
I made delicious chocolate chip pumpkin muffins.
In the evening, the boys dressed up and we had a treasure treat hunt in the garden.   Still to make pumpkin pie.  Our little chick pumpkin made this a very special Halloween this year!
Pumpkin

7 comments:

  1. Hello my dear sista

    Taking time out from sick Livy with a stomach bug to greet you and say how happy I am that I am back in my meadowy space. Can you believe that I went through all that torture for google to announce that I was too young to have a google account and therefore my blog. So glad they came to their senses...

    How beautiful little pumpkin is...you are probably going to end up being mommy hen just like me.

    I see the boys look well and I hope that you are too. You sound very happy in your new place.

    I will chat to you soon Kelly

    Lots of love
    Suzanne
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness--Benjamin has lost his two front teeth, too! :)

    I adore that little nesting box (did he draw little chicks on the side, too?). Pumpkin is precious--I love his coloring--so, so pretty!

    Happy Mid-Autumn to you sweet friend...

    Love,
    Jessica xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy (what with all the spinning too)! Silkies are so cute and Pumpkin is a lovely name :)

    Did Leo lose both teeth at the same time? Nin seemed to have a spate of the dropping out in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy (what with all the spinning too)! Silkies are so cute and Pumpkin is a lovely name :)

    Did Leo lose both teeth at the same time? Nin seemed to have a spate of the dropping out in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pumpkin is adorable:) I love his nesting box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh yay! You have chicks! They are lovely :)
    B & K bought a book called living off the land and intend on hatching some different breeds next year. It will be interesting trying to raise them now that we have two kittens :P should be fun.
    lots of love
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babies and lost toofs and the end of autumn.
    All wonderful.
    Well--'cept the growing up part. I'm never very eager for that!

    ReplyDelete