Some of what I have been spinning recently.
Two bobbins done of Mongol Kargul wool. I have spun it as quite a thick single. I want it to look rustic/slubby.
And this is a lovely spin. It just flows through my fingers! Beautiful organic creamy white Welsh Lleln. I have two fleeces of this beautiful wool which I sourced from the neighbouring organic farm.
I dyed two batches of wool tops. The orange from madder root and the creamy colour is actually pale yellow and I used privet for that. We trimmed a hedge in our garden and we had so many leaf cuttings I thought I might as well try to dye with it. Glad I gave it a go! Next time we mow the lawn, I am going to try dyeing with grass cuttings.
i love the mongol, so beautiful. do you know what you're going to knit? x x
ReplyDeleteLovely spinning, that lleyn does look fantastically soft.
ReplyDeleteWhat mordant do you use when you dye? I love all these natural dyes, but worry about fixing them.
Love all the experimenting, with natural dyes, you are doing. Still building up to using my woad, but everytime I do, I fall in love with the natural colour of the fleece. Early days for me, all this spinning and dying malarkey!
ReplyDeleteIsn't using natural dyes ever so satisfying? I love it, when I get a chance to do it. The colours you've created are gorgeous, and the yarn! So much love for the dreamy yarn.
ReplyDeleteHello dear friend,
ReplyDeleteYour handspinning is so beautiful and I love how your natural dyes turned out:)
Wishing you a peaceful weekend,
Warmly
Linda
Thanks Laura. I'm not sure what I am going to knit with it yet. It is too rough for clothes so probably toys.
ReplyDeleteClaire, I have only experimenting with using alum as mordant with a bit of cream of tartar. Easy to use. Onion skins are a good starting point as the dye doesn't need a mordant.
Cheryl, I would love to see the results when you do dye with woad. I have always wanted to use woad. Lucky you to have your own woad to use too.
Best wishes
I love them all! Need to get spinning soon, won't be dying though as I really like the natural colours of the fleece I have (and I'm too afraid of messing it up lol!) xx
ReplyDeleteKelly, Your yarn is just beautiful.... wishing I could reach through the computer and touch it! The natural dye colors are lovely as well.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your sweet family a wonderful summer!
Tara
Love the natural dyes, they look so good :) Bet they'll be beautiful when they're spun too
ReplyDeleteLovely, and I think, I must have some madder somewhere ;-)
ReplyDeleteI was going to say I liked the black yarn best ... but then I saw the Lleln ... then the madder ... then I gave up deciding which I liked best!
ReplyDelete(The black singles!)
Decisions...which one do I like best? I love the orange and yellow and the fact they they have been created using natural dye. I really should experiment more with it. I have all of the tools but not much of a dyer. Your colors are inspiring.
ReplyDeleteLove them all, between all the great, natural colors to the slubby texture, I couldn't choose which I liked best!
ReplyDeleteThank you for mentioning a breed I know nothing about. I'll have to go do some research on the Mongol. Your white single is so fine I'm envious. It's so much fun to hear about adventures in natural dying. I'm gathering berries from friends to dye some yarn with and your experimentation with common yard vegetation is very encouraging.
ReplyDeleteSo gorgeous! I love seeing those beautiful colors and textures. Oh, and when your fleece is hanging in wispy balls on the line, drying in the breeze. It's all so peaceful.
ReplyDeleteJessica xoxo
Those colors are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI dream one day of plant-dyeing. It's on my list of things to learn, along with spinning.