"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Michaelmas

Thou Michael!
Plunge deep the blue sword of autumn
Where the dark dragon lurks;
Till the stirring of iron in the blood and the meteor
Into me works.


This is one of our favourite festivals and I personally feel particularly drawn to the significance of this festival this year round. 

Each year we make our dragon bread and as we go along I tell the harvest loaf story found in All Year Round.  

I read the children the wonderful story, 'Nkosnati and the Dragon' adapted by C Wijnbergh and C Liknaitzky found in 'Hear the Voice of the Griot' by Betty Staley - a fantastic guide to African geography, history and culture.  I did an internet search and found another adaptation here. This story is about a young boy's courage facing a dragon, not with a sword, nor with physical strength, but with great courage.  The story works really well for Michaelmas, although I adapted it slightly.  After the story we made dragon shaped candle holders out of clay. Nkosnati loves to model with clay too!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Dear Kelly,
    What a beautiful celebration, your dragon bread looks wonderful and I love the dragon candle holders. The Harvest Loaf story in All Year Round is a favourite...

    Warmly

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Kelly

    This is one of my favourite celebrations too. We too made a dragon loaf and I loved saving the St George and the Dragon story for bedtime. Thank you for sharing this.

    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear Linda and Suzanne
    This is indeed a wonderful festival to celebrate and I look forward to it! Hope you and your families are both loving the return of the warm weather again!
    Have a lovely week to two very special mamas.
    Best wishes
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fascinating. Thank you for sharing this celebration. The book on Africa sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice way to celebrate. Wishing you many blessings this season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, Me again... I have passed on a Kreativ Blogger award to you. Come over and visit if you would like to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly - what a wonderful Michaelmas celebration! And thank you for passing on the story. I printed it out and intend to tell it next year. Had trouble finding more stories to tell for the holiday, but thanks to you, I'll have a wonderful one next year! Always enjoy your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michaelmas is definitely one of our family's favorite celebrations, too. I have to say that dragon bread of yours is about the cutest dragon bread I've ever seen, lol!! I love the idea of the leaves for the wings. Enjoy the season. :)

    ReplyDelete