"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Thursday, 9 July 2009

Pressed Flower Sun Catchers

Leo loved making these.  They look striking.  In Autumn we have done this using autumn leaves.

We used:

  • Willow sticks or twigs
  • String, raffia or elastic bands
  • Very liquid white glue, and brushes
  • White tissue paper (we use teabag paper which is stronger than tissue paper)
  • Flowers, petals, leaves, grass, etc.

  1. Tie 3 or 4 sticks into the shape you want - triangle, square, etc.
  2. Cut a piece of tissue big enough to cover your shape and overlap the edges.  Paste is over with very liquid glue - we use part water/part glue.
  3. Put the shape on top and fold the tissue over the frame
  4. Choose flowers, leaves, etc to decorate your frame.
  5. Cover with another piece of tissue and paste all over this.
  6. Hang up to dry with a string.

11 comments:

  1. Kelly, I absolutely adore these, they are so very beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are stunning! So lovely... we gotta press us some flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda and magiconions. These are a fun way of showing off all the lovely pressed flowers we collected. Messy though with all that glue but lots of fun.
    Hope you both have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly

    You do come up with the most interesting crafts. I love the way you use the nature around you. They truly are lovely. I cannot help but notice those lovely fields out your window. I have an eye for looking further than I should...I just love the English Countryside!

    Have a peaceful weekend my friend
    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanne
    We do love to incorporate nature in our crafts!
    Those are fields of wheat in the front and side of our house. There's organic wheat and oats growing this year. Through the other window can be seen cotswold stone walls around the barns and grain storage bins. The barns and walls are lovely too - very old. Our house is very shabby looking - suits us fine though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! Can't wait to try it! Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an aweseome idea! We're going to have to try this :) Looks stunning and what a fabulous way to incorporate your dried flowers. Thanks for sharing this creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post... they are so lovely and on our T0-DO list. Thanks so much for sharing on Friday's Nature Table.
    Blessings and magic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are beautiful - I hopped over here from Magic Onion's Nature table. Fabulous! Many thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love this. May be a project for today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. We just finished making a flower press. I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete