"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Saturday, 11 July 2009

Ladybirds

We stumbled across a wonderful discovery recently. Whilst out on one of our walks around the farm, Sol discovered two fascinating insects he had not come across before. Later, we worked out what they were - ladybird pupa and ladybird larva - we hadn't at first even realised they could be related! There were adult ladybirds in the same area too. The lifecycle of the ladybird. Sol was so intrigued and excited! I just so love this type of natural learning - this is what it's all about and it is exhilerating!

So, this is the story:

Ladybirds undergo a complete metamorphosis. The life stages are: egg --> larva --> pupa --> adult.

Look how fantastic the larvae are. They don't look like ladybirds, do they? These are the sort Sol's really intrigued with.

The larvae that hatches from the egg is small and long and has 6 legs. They wander among the leaves in search of food, mainly aphids, just like the adults. As it rapidly grows, the larvae sheds its skin several times. After reaching full size, the larvae attaches itself to a plant leaf by its "tail" and remain suspended there. The larval skin then splits down the back, exposing the pupa.

The pupa is about the size of the adult but is all wrapped up, protecting the ladybird while it undergoes metamorphosis into its adult stage. This last stage takes a few days.

Adult ladybird. There are many different species of ladybirds found on different continents. They are generally considered useful insects as many species feed on aphids or scale insects, which are pests in gardens, agricultural fields, orchards and similar places.

During the Middle Ages, ladybirds answered farmers' prayers by savings their crops from pests. This led to their association with the Virgin Mary, 'The Beetles of Our Lady'. The red wings were said to represent the Virgin's cloak and the black spots were symbolic of both her joys and her sorrows. Nearly all cultures believe that a Ladybird is lucky. Killing one is said to bring sadness and misfortune.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize the ladybird went through metamorphosis until a couple years ago. We found our first lb larva in our apple orchard and are blessed every summer with ladybird larva to study. I was furious with my education for not knowing this, I knew the butterfly and the frog, but not the ladybird! This is a great post Kelly! Thanks for sharing the legend and history, love it.

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly I love the new look of your blog, its beautiful. This is so interesting about Ladybirds, thanks so much for sharing all of your information. We adore Landybirds here...

    Warmly

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent... I didn't know this! I am going to sit with K later today and we will read this together. Thanks!
    Blessings and magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly

    This is so interesting. We discovered this not so long ago too. When we see a ladybird, we pick it up and head straight for the orchard. They are our natural aphid eaters. In Summer our orchard is fill of them. I find it so fasinating how this soft little crawly larva ends up with a hard bright shell. I must say, they are one of my favourite bugs.

    Your new blog page looks great Kelly.

    Have a lovely day my friend. Its very cold here today. Go run in the Sun for me.....

    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa
    Yes, I am amazed that the ladybird metamorphosis does not seem to be common knowledge as the butterfly and frog cycles are, given that ladybirds are so popular and well-loved.

    Hi Linda
    Thanks, I want to make more changes to my blog too - its finding the time though! Ladybirds are well loved. Sol used to say when he was smaller that bees make honey and ladybirds make marmite. I loved that!

    Hi Magiconions
    I hope K found the ladybird information interesting. There are so many different species. We try to take photos of the different kinds we come across and keep them in our nature journal. We like the 22 spot yellow ladybirds that eat plant mildew and fungus. They are sweet!

    Hi Suzanne
    Your orchard must be a lovely place - your own Garden of Eden! Wonderful. You know, I was just reading that the harlequin ladybird which originates from Asia is posing a threat to the native species here. They are vorocious aphid eaters and also eat other ladybird larva. Apparently the harlequins have been spreading through the British Isles over the years and are posing a threat to the 40 odd native species here as they ae eating the larva and eating too many aphids and not sharing them!
    Interesting.
    No chance of sun here! It has been dull and rainy for two odd weeks now..sigh.
    Have a lovely day!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete