"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Friday, 19 June 2009

Rockpool treasures

We all took such delight in hunting for rockpool treasures.   The rockpools were a favourite with Sol.  He could spend the whole day turning over rocks seeking treasures.  So much to learn about and admire.

He was in his element.  Seeking out finds and identifying them.  Always so gentle and respectful of sealife and their homes.

Barnacles and limpets

Snails

Sea slater - similar to garden woodlouse.

Sea anemone

Starfish and sea anemone

Little rockpool fish - Sol caught lots with his hands, admired them and set them free again.  He had a great strategy for catching them!

Prawn.  He caught several prawns and shrimps with his hands.

Sea slugs which emit purple ink

Beadlet anemone

Lots of scuttling crabs.  Leo was the master crab catcher.  No fear of being nipped! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow...that was amazing and your son seemed like he was in his element :) Hope to see more pictures from your lovely vacation. I've always wanted to go to France...sigh...for now, I will enjoy through your blog! Would be neat to see how that watersnail ink does with dying fabrics. I think I saw a documentary about the cuttlefish being used for the blue dies in Ancient Jerusalem...really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of the amazing creatures you were able to interact with and learn from! How lovely to see children in their "element" your descriptions of your children's reaction to these lovely creatures remind me of my own children. What beauty and magic to be found in rock/tide pools!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, you know that is exactly what I thought about those sea slugs!! There were hundreds and hundreds of them and I mentioned to my family that their dye should would be welcome in my dye pot - of course without ever intending any harm to the slugs! I must try and research into that out of interest. Interesting about cuttlefish too!

    Hi Gardenmama, they are all still talking about their time their. Such a rich natural learning experience to be had interacting with such incredible creatures. And to see the children's joy - that counts for everything!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best wishes
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly

    Sol was the king treasure finder on your holiday. Well done Sol! Aaron would have loved to have found those sea creatures with you..Leo was a brave little guy on the crab hunting.

    Lovely photo's Kelly
    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanne,
    I am sure Aaron and Sol would make a great team - both with lots of enthusiasm and natural fascination. Leo was just too funny with crabs! Oh to be there still! Hope you are having a lovely weekend and that you are still enjoying the benefits of your wonderful holiday. I came back determined to simplify my life. I gave up my part-time job the day I got back.

    Best wishes
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete