On this farm we live on (we don't do the farming), pigs are reared organically, along with organic cereal crops - oats, beans, wheat mostly. The pigs have so much open space and are reared to very high standards. It is interesting to watch their behaviour through the seasons. In summer, it is glorious to watch them wallowing in their mud baths. All year round - to watch them play, run and snuffle in the soil for roots from the tiniest of piglets to the big boars. They have such a wide range of noises too. Little Noah makes a wonderful pig noise. They don't go oink, oink!! More like a haw, haw and other
snouty type sounds. Of course, the piglets are absolutely wonderful and the farmer often lets the boys handle a new little piglet. There are four different breeds and the colours of the pigs are white/ brown/black and white/ and tan coloured with black spots. Not pink - Sol always asks why books show pigs as pink when they are not ever pink!
The pigs snuffle in the soil for roots and so are great at weeding out those deep, stubborn roots. Their manure is also very nutrient rich and they till this into the soil while walking about and snuffling about. Apparently, the nutrients they add to the soil benefits the land for 8 odd years. They are out and about in all weather, even when it is very cold. In this icy, wintry weather, the farmers work very hard. They are constantly doing the rounds breaking thick ice off the water troughs and topping them up with fresh water. We really enjoy learning all about inquisitive pigs.


Hi Kelly
ReplyDeleteI would just love to live on a farm. I would love my children to experience the freedom , the forest and animals.
Just love your pigs
Warm regards
Suzanne
Morning Kelly,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful experience for your entire family! I would also love to live on a farm, and I know we will someday, maby, in the Cape. But for now we have a lovely little 'homestead' in the suburbs, with our chickens, rabbits etc.. unfortunately no pigs... Thanks for the colour description, think I'm going to knit some pigs in those colours for my shop! Have a lovely Sunday..
PS. I am finally going to get my spinning wheel out and attempt to spin this week. If I manage, I will blog the result....
Suzanne and Linda, thanks. Yes, we are very grateful that we live on a farm and, believe me, I give thanks daily!!
ReplyDeleteThe pigs are great. Good idea about knitting some up in these colours. I have been meaning to do some too for little Noah - he loves pigs.
We share the same dream - some land in the sun - one day!! Your homestead sounds wonderful - I could live with that!!!
Good luck getting along with spinning. I love it - I should blog about spinning on the wheel and share pics of some of my spun yarn at some point.
so nice to see someone loves to watch pigs like I do! we have one little black pig on our urban farm. She is a riot. Quite the guard dog actually!
ReplyDeleteGosh - what fun to have a little black pig. I love those kune kune pigs. In fact, our house was built in the 1940's and there is a pig sty at the bottom of the garden. Apparantley, at that time, it was quite common for people to keep a pig and fatten it up with food scraps and then eat it for Christmas - how awful! Anyways, we have lots of great pig games in that little pig sty. Nothing beats having your own though! She must be well loved by you and lots of fun.
ReplyDelete