"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Thursday, 18 April 2013

Garden harvest, axolotls and dogs

Here in the southern hemisphere, we are heading into our autumn season.  It is getting cooler and the sun is rising later.  There is a coolness in the air in the early mornings and evenings and during the day the sun is a wonderful warm steady glow.  I have done really well in our veg garden this first year.  What I am most happy about is a fantastic crop of mixed beans.  Lots and lots of dried beans to cook and freeze and add to stews.  

We are also enjoying big doses of Vitamin C from the guavas ripening on our guava trees in the garden at the moment.  There are lots so we are also juicing what we can't eat and freezing.  Plans for guava fruit leather too!
We managed to find another axoltl.  A white one this time. We all love with these fascinating creatures.  They make wonderful, interesting pets.  


Our  two wee dogs.  Miniature Jack Russells.  A family leaving the country couldn't manage to take them with them so we gladly took them in.   We have had them with us a couple of months and how we all love these two sweet little girls with such big hearts and such big characters!



4 comments:

  1. We had a couple of Axolotls for years! They were one of our kids favorite pets ever! How fun that you can get them there as well. Here in the USA they aren't terribly common as pets so we ordered ours as newly hatched babies from a breeder we found online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness -- I love those axolotis! I believe I remember one on the cover of Ranger Rick when I was a child. They are so charming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun, new critters to get to know. the axolti are amazing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful bean harvest! It is still cold here and only the very first green buds and shoots beginning to show. The axoltl are so beautiful, like magaical creatures from a story. And, those little dogs, so sweet, Mia is desperate for us to have a dog, we will when it is possible, I loved growing up with a dog, they are such good friends. x x

    ReplyDelete