"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Friday, 25 January 2013

January - what's growing in the garden, snakes, chameleons, and storks

All our hard work in the vegetable garden has started to show!  We produced a big crop of tomatoes.  Enough to last the whole month and we have pumpkin, butternut, gem squash, chard, cucumbers, lettuce, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, broccolli, cauliflowers, chick peas, beans and maize all growing well.  I am so pleased.  We are starting to feed ourselves well.  Now to keep on top of the weeding!  We have a couple of chickens but need to get a couple more hens to supply more eggs.





Noah monkey enjoying mangoes

The mangoes are ripening and I have a particular little monkey that visits the trees each day in search of mangoes!

We have found more chameleons in the garden.  That's about 10 we have discovered now!


Our third snake we have seen.  The first two were harmless brown house snakes (luckily not in the house!) and the second two these garden snakes that are not venomous. Sol's interest in insects has now expanded to reptiles and he wants to keep snakes.  Strict instructions not to mess with wild snakes though!
We have visiting migrating storks gracing us with their presence in our garden.  There are lots of these about at the moment especially on sports playing fields.

2 comments:

  1. You have grown so much already, wow, how lovely to see a lush productive garden when ours is still so bare and wet and wintery! And to see storks and chameleons in your garden, it all looks so wonderfully exciting x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A chameleon! I was peacefully enjoying the photos of your very active garden and couldn't believe it -- he is so cute! I squealed. And the stork is breathtaking...so, so pretty. Have I mentioned how happy I am to be reading about you and your wonderful family again? :)

    Jessica xoxo

    ReplyDelete