Grandad's sudden visit from Zimbabwe. Wonderful to see him although under sad circumstances.
His brother extremely ill with cancer. He passed away yesterday - Wednesday. Sadness and loss but wonderful that family have each other's love, light and support in cold, hard times. We are thankful for all that Ken was to our family. We celebrate his life.
I remember so many years back as a fiery 19 year old, having wonderful conversations with Ken about the poems of Dylan Thomas. A poet whom I have always held close to my heart. How I enjoyed those conversations with Ken. He not only knew Dylan Thomas's poems well but had many inspiring, though-provoking ideas on his work. He had an incredible mind. An English and History teacher of a special kind.
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas
It is not so much about fighting passing this life but more about seizing the day, living each day to the full. Living life to the full. A great mind, an athlete, a thinker, a traveller...a good man, a bad man, a wild man, a peaceful man - that is living life.
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas
It is not so much about fighting passing this life but more about seizing the day, living each day to the full. Living life to the full. A great mind, an athlete, a thinker, a traveller...a good man, a bad man, a wild man, a peaceful man - that is living life.
I'm sorry for your loss, Kelly. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteDo not go gentle into that goodnight... Dylan Thomas said it very well, indeed. I needed that reminder today. ;) Wishing you and yours a beautiful holiday.
I'm sorry for your loss Kelly. Beautiful tribute to life lived.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts are with you and your family, Kelly. I'm glad you have each other during this time.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this beautiful verse today. I found it especially meaningful as well.
So sorry Kelly. What a special tribute to him, though. Thinking of you and holding you in my heart. ♥
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful you can be together in your time of loss. Your poetic tribute is lovely. Enjoy each other this holiday!!!
ReplyDeletelove and light
lisa
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely beautiful. Such a loving tribute to someone so dear.
I think I've already said it in a comment or perhaps an e-mail, but...we wish you a lovely holiday full of love & wonder!
~Jessica
You and your lovely family are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteBlessings sue xx
So sorry for your loss Kelly, sending you love and peace and strength.
ReplyDeleteI love that Dylan Thomas poem too, so beautiful.
So much love
Ginaxxxxx
Kelly- my heart goes out to you and your family at this time. It is so hard to see a loved one suffer, but such an act of love to be with them as they set off on their next journey. What a lovely tribute you gave of a man who has touched your life in such a good way.
ReplyDeleteSending blessings of comfort and the joy of the season xxx
Dear Kelly
ReplyDeleteMy computer got struck by lightning a while ago and my visits have seized..My email to you, too has been lost...I am sorry to hear about your Dads brother. Those words are powerful and I must share this poem with Andrew.
A very Merry Christmas to you my dear friend. I have had a wonderful year getting to know you~
Lots of love to you Sista Kelly
Suzanne
XXX
What a beautiful post in honor of your dear uncle Ken. I'm sure he was right over your shoulder, smiling, as you wrote these words in his honor and the Thomas poem is the icing on the cake. I am sorry for your loss, but happy that your life was so enriched by such a wonderful soul!
ReplyDeleteHugs!