"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Thursday, 18 November 2010

Season of Lanterns - Martinmas

We enjoyed our lantern walk last weekend.  How soul nourishing it is to walk about in the dark with those small gleaming lights flickering, but most of all to hear the pure light  emanating from our children's hearts as they sing lantern songs.  I will always, always remember.




















Our favourite this year:

I go outside with my lantern, 
my lantern goes with me.
Above us shine the stars so bright, 

down here on earth shine we.
So shine my light in the still dark night,

Labimmel, Labammel, Laboom.
'Neath heaven's dome till we go home, 

Labimmel, Labammel, Laboom.

We walk with our little lanterns, 

our lanterns so shiny bright.
We wander through the darkness, 

with winking, twinkling lights.
Like stars that swing are the lanterns we bring, 

Labimmel, Labammel, Laboom.
'Neath heaven's dome till we go home, 

Labimmel, Labammel, Laboom.

The boys made simple glass jar tissue paper lanterns.  Simple and effective for children to manage mostly by themselves.




















I made a small beeswax lantern.  I didn't have enough beeswax or a big enough melting pot so it didn't turn out as beautiful as I had hoped but it still gave off a lovely warm glow.

While we have been out walking recently, I have noticed that there is a magnificent lantern festival going on all around us.  All the berries on the plants.  Most have now lost their leaves but are still glowing with oranges, pinks, deep reds, purples, white - yes, all the berries - rosehips, sloes, hawthornes, ivy.  The queen of the lantern display is definitely the spindle berry lanterns - pink with the orange flame in the centre.  Perfect!
My camera is playing up a bit so excuse the blur.  Just focus on the wonder of these little lanterns!







How connected we are to our earth.  If only we take the time to slow down and notice these small yet significant signs.  Go look for nature's lanterns today!


Happy Martinmas!

12 comments:

  1. It is true - the glowing red berries and deep pink sunsets of winter are very uplifting in an otherwise dark time. In fact it is getting dark here now by 4 o'clock, so we need some light to cheer us. I loved your lantern show - it was beautiful. Thank you. xxx

    http://merryweatheruk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I know I've said it before, but your blog is a gift to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry I can't post much but wanted to say.....beautiful, thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I also wanted to tell you I had to make my blog private, but would love to send you an invitation. Can you email me at thesherfamily@yahoo.com so that I can send it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We celebrated Martinmas for the first time this year!

    I love your little hanging jar lanterns...so, so pretty.

    Love to you all...

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh great shots of the glowing lanterns. And your new heading picture with the fat berries is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason your blog is not coming through my feed...

    Lovely thoughts on the bare branches dotted with fiery berries. Your sweet lanterns remind me of all the lanterns my daughter made during her earlier years. Simple and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your beautiful header the colors certainly glow. The lantern walk is a special time for us to, we have some village children come over every year and the children walk around the farm. It does gets quite dark and the lanterns glow so beautifully. I love your little lanters, I have never tried to make them with beeswax. Your photos are lovely Kelly. Much lovexxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sight of your lanterns hanging from a tree. We also sang the same song with slight variations in the lyrics! It's a favourite over here.
    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  10. berries and rosehips make me feel so happy in the wintertime. :)

    thanks so much for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful idea to look for nature's lanterns. I will love doing that. Thank you for a beautiful post. (By the way, the word I have to type in for verification here is 'blesses'. I've never actually had a real word before! I think it's a beautiful sign.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these lyrics to Martinmas. We have similar ones, but I am going to use these, too! What a lovely festival, Happy Martinmas, Kelly and family!

    ReplyDelete