Tuesday, 5 October 2010
Spindle wood, ash tree, holly bush
Spindle wood, spindle wood, will you lend me, pray,
A little flaming lantern to light me on my way?
The fairy folk have vanished from the meadow and the glen,
and I would fain go seeking till I find them once again.
Ash tree, ash tree, throw me, if you please,
Throw me down a slender bunch of russet-gold keys;
I fear the gates of fairyland may all be shut fast;
Give me your magic keys that I may get past;
I'll tie them to my girdle, that as I go along
My heart may find a comfort in their tiny tinkling song.
Holly bush, holly bush, help me in my task,
A pocketful of berries is all the alms I ask;
A pocketful of berries to thread in glowing strands
(I would not go a-visiting with nothing in my hands);
So fine will be the rosy chains, so good, so glossy bright,
They'll set the realms of fairyland a-dancing with delight.
R Fyleman - Wynstones 'Autumn'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Thank you for sharing such beautiful words and pictures, blessings to you and your lovely family x
ReplyDeletethat spindlewood looks delightful! i don't know that i have seen that one before. this is a lovely verse!!
ReplyDeleteOh Kelly, I am so happy to see the spindle wood picture! We love this verse, and also in the Acorn Hill Anthology (Nancy Foster) there is a story based on it, with the little girl journeying through the woods to find mother earth and the fairies. It is wonderful, and thank you for reminding me that we should be telling this story soon!
ReplyDeleteAh, Spindlewood!! We have this growing in our back garden, but I didn't know what it was called. The locals just keep telling me that it's poisonous. Now I can look it up!! Thank you!
ReplyDelete