"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Thursday, 7 October 2010

Sheep fleece sorting and spinning

I finally got around to sorting out my three organic fleeces.
















 Then, I dusted off that spinning wheel which had sat mostly idle during Summer.  With babe happily playing on a mat by my side in the warm afternoon sun, I sat and had a good spin.  I like spinning the wool in the grease, that is, as is, not washed.  I then wash the spun yarn and dye it naturally if I want some colour.  I have a patch of nettles, tomatoes, carrots and beetroot all waiting for the dyepot.  Hawthorne berries make a good peachy colour too!  I tired to dye with sloes last autumn.  It did not work out - the colour was a murky grey!

It's such a beautiful misty morning this morning.  Off we go now for a walk in the mist!  Happy day to you!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely afternoon. Ive just bought an old spinning wheel and im eager to figure out how to use it once ive picked it up, do you have any tips that might help a beginer? I look forward to seing what beautiful things you make with your wool:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sista Kelly

    I've got my ethnic wrap on as we speak. Its hot outside and I am working in the garden. We have our family from Mauritius here and we have errected another phoophy slide( can you believe its a year later and I am probably spelling it wrong again~!) Your spinning is so even Kelly. I started spinning again too. I look forward to seeing your naturally dyed wool.

    Have a lovely day my friend
    Lots of love
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how lovely! I have been thinking of my little drop spindle, tucked away for far too long. Until I can spend some time with it, I will enjoy the spinning goodness in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - it sounds like you had an idyllic day and your wool looks great. I collected some fallen lichen this afternoon, with vague thoughts of future wool dyeing, when we get our own sheep next year. And i picked up a leaflet about evening classes on the island only to find a monthly spinning group meets nearby. I just hope it is real spinning, and i don't turn up to find a dozen women furiously pedaling away on exercise bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How meditative, I would love to learn how to spin Kelly. Some day but not in the tropical climate I live in,, it's really hard to work wool in the heat and humidity.. I read Suzanne message about the phoophy slide, my dad brought the one we had as a child for the boys to use. We just need to find the right slope, I spent much of my youth on the phoophy slide. Much love, I shall write soon. Just tired from the trip.

    ReplyDelete