
Last year we only came across one here in England, but now our boy knows just where they like to hang out and has found so many in woodlands and in the garden.

We have come across three different varieties here in England. They can be found in damp, shaded places such as leaf litter, under logs and sometimes in soil.

A black snake millipede. They grow up to about 6cm.

Flat-backed millipede.

Pill millipede or roly poly. Very similar to pill woodlouse although has more legs.
mmmmmm, grubs!!
ReplyDelete:) just kidding.
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteThose photos are amazing! My little ones also love these creatures and just pick them up very gently whenever they see them!:)
Happy day to you my friend:)
Love
Linda
Oh my what fab pics, my little one is an insect lover too, we shall look out for these beautiful creatures :)
ReplyDeleteblessings sue xx
Hmmm...I had always been told that they have a bad sting. I wonder if that is just not true or true about a variety we have around here...hmmmm.
ReplyDelete-Phyllis
Hi Linda, I used to enjoy watching and picking them up too when I was a child. You must get to see quite a few chongololos in your garden.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Kelly
Hi Phyllis,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for stopping by!
From my own experience and from what I have read about millipedes they are unable to bite or sting. They do however release a substance which can irritate the skin at the worst and maybe cause slight temporary staining to the skin if handled for some time, but again I have never come across anyone who has had a sking irritation from handling millipedes. They normally curl up into a ball when handled to protect themselves. They are also a popular choice of pet for some people. Perhaps you are thinking about centipedes which can cause harm?
Best wishes
Kelly
Fantastic photos, Tarka is our little insect lover here :)
ReplyDeleteWe went to a party the other day where the activity was to go on a bug hunt! we found tons of these and examined them with magnifying glasses--- they really are awesome!
ReplyDeleteI just can't love the chongololos! They are so big compared to the wimpy little millipedes we find here in Pennsylvania. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, but I do love roly polies!
oKelly, great page on the chongololos, I will send you a photo of the huge centipede we found by the pool, they have quite a sting on them. I love the feeling of those chongololos crawling down my arm. It must have been the native Zimbabweans that gave it that name.. funny.
ReplyDelete