
We have been spending time this week on form drawing starting with straight and curved lines. We have drawn them in the air, walked the forms, drawn them with a stick in the soil, drawn them with our feet, modelled them with modelling wax and looked out for curved and straight lines in nature which Sol particularly enjoyed. He's really taken to form drawing and keeps drawing them here and there throughout the day.


What inspired us both the most was the beautiful autumnal spiders' webs we saw lit up by the sun in the woods - full of straight and curved forms!

This gave me the idea to create a story as we walked along using spiders and forms. I will continue drawing from this nature story for form drawing as we go along.
We have also made a start learning to play the pennywhistle together using Jodi Mesler's great music curriculum.
For handwork, we are working on making Sol's sewing bag using felt, hessian, knitting bee cord for the strap and lots of colourful stitching. He just adores sewing! We are also working on a peg loom woolen rug I should have done a while ago but came to a halt with over the summer. This will be our storytelling rug. Lots of wool carding, weaving and wool handling using naturally dyed fleece and creamy white cotswold fleece. Just perfect to get cosy on listening to stories near the woodburner during the wintry months.
I just love the weather tree idea. Will you keep it going for all 12 months or just the school year? Please post a photo of it at that time, ok? Pretty please??? ;)
ReplyDeleteGood morning dear friend
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely weather tree. I too use the same curriculum and I find it so friendly. My little livy has made a tree too. What a wonderful start to form drawing. Happy learning, walking, reading and playing.
Happy day to you and the boys
Warm regards
Suzanne
My daughter is 13, but she still has her sewing bag, pencil case and knitted animals and gnomes. Such special items... they really become treasures. Looks like you are having some beautiful school days.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely blog. Its so fun to discover new blogs to visit : ) I really like how you do your weather tree. I also enjoyed reading about your nature walks what a clever idea to share your adventures of what you find, in your form drawing times.
ReplyDeleteHi Tammy
ReplyDeleteThank you! Sol enjoyed making it. We plan to keep going for the school year but we'll see if he wants to continue when we get there! I'll remember to post a picture when it's finished the cycle!
Hi Dear Suzanne
I am sure Livy's tree is very beautiful with lots of sunny day leaves!
Have a lovely day.
Best wishes
Kelly
Tara
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiitng. It is lovely taht your daughter still treasures teh crafts she made or that you made together. More than anything, I want my children's learning to be beautiful and meaningful and especially to be their own!
Have a lovely day
Kelly
Hello Jane
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting. I really enjoy your blog! I hope to try to ensure that what we do is mostly something the children can directly connect to from their surroundings and so on.
Look forward to visiting you soon again!
Have a lovely day.
Kelly