"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Friday, 14 August 2009

Down in the Woods

During the summer, we don't visit the woods on this farm as frequently as we do during the other seasons as the plant growth on the woodland floor grows so thick with dog's mercury, goose grass, nettles and other plants which makes it difficult for the children to walk there with ease. The plant growth is slowing down now and we can walk more freely there once again. Hooray, for we love the woods!  No-one visits there but ourselves.  I find being in woods amongst all those majestic trees to be good soul food for us all.  The quietness, save for occasional bird calls, or a deer bounding through - so good for us.

So, we spotted so many lords and ladies now covered in bright red berries.

Fungus and insects and slugs to investigate.

Trees to climb and rock on.

Dens to play in.

It is a different world in there where we imagine goblin kings and the crow spies and gnomes and other wonderful imaginings. 

9 comments:

  1. Having a woods all to yourself -- that's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, Kelly! I love the magic of your special forest. I'm sure you have such fun playing in there - look out for the dragons :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The forest looks magical and full of creative play possibilities. The den...why anything could live there: trolls, gnomes, fairies, etc. What fun! I'm glad it's becoming the time of year you can play in there again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly

    Hope you have had a great weekend. How wonderful to have the woods at hand. I can imagine the talk of knights and goblins. These moments are what we remember when we are older. Such wonderful memories to build a bedtime story upon...

    Have a great week across the miles friend.

    Warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, the woods is certainly our favorite place for magical play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How enchanting Kelly, I wish we had woods nearby to visit :) Have a great week,

    Regards

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. We spend a lot of time wandering in the forest too. But I don't think I should mention goblin kings to my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love babies in galoshes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The three boys in that last pic is just the cutest. What a fantastic day!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete