"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Saturday, 18 July 2009

Sheep fleece sorting

I've been processing the six fleeces I collected from this year's shearing.

I laid them out, then scoured them - that is removed all the soiled bits and vegetation and kept only the fleece good for using.

Then wash the fleece.  I cheat!  I stuff a pillowcase full of dirty fleece and then stick it on the wool setting on the washing machine.  Quick and easy.  I find in my washing machine, the cycle is gentle enough not to cause the wool to felt up.  It works for me but might not work for everyone. I like to leave the lanolin in the wool as I like to spin in the grease so this removes any dirt but leaves the lanolin in.  After that hang it on the washing line to dry.  After its all dry I bag it up in pillowcases and label each lot and add it to my large stash of all sorts of fleeces!!  The children enjoy all this processing and especially like to see all the wool on the line - fluffy clouds blowing in the wind.

11 comments:

  1. Hello dear Kelly,

    Oh wow, I never thought to put my fleece in a pillowcase on the wool cycle! Thank you! I have so much organic unwashed fleece and the thought of washing it by hand is not very appealing... Going to try washing some in my machine...

    Warmly

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works well for me, Linda. Do a test first though to check your machine doesn't felt the wool. Tie it up tightly too with an elastic band. Good luck! I don't have time or the inclination to wash all my fleece by hand either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree – the fleece does look beautiful hanging on the line to dry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so pretty hanging there on the line to dry... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kelly

    I started washing some fleece by hand 3 Summers ago. Its still half done. I usually place a whole lot of enamel basins on the lawn and wash and rinse from basin to basin. Its a lovely activity for the kids but one that just never gets finished. Thanks for the tip!

    XX
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a huge bag of alpaca fleece that I need to wash and comb--I do needle-felting & my in-laws just bought me combing cards...so, I'm very excited to try them!

    I was going to wash small bits at a time & dry them in a thrift-shop salad spinner...maybe I'll try the wool cycle in my washing machine--it would save a lot of time & now is the time to dry it outside, too--rather than winter!

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Movinginspirals and Tammy
    I love seeing the wool hanging on the line to dry - especially when the whole line is covered. It's so dreamy and soft! I like the smell too! I am in love with wool!
    Best wishes
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzanne
    I love the way you set up the fleece washing on the lawn in the enamel basins. Certainly a fun soapy, splashy activity to do on a sunny day. I reckon in 3 summers time I still won't have even used up a third of all my fleece - lol!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica
    I do love your needle-felting! How lucky to have a bag of alpaca fleece. A new friend who has 7 alpacas has offered me some. That's the next step - the carding. Have fun with your carders. I am sure your son will enjoy trying them out. My boys enjoy carding wool. The other day they had a go on a drum carder and really loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about washing fleece in a washing machine but didn't try it because I didn't have a mesh bag...I never thought of using a pillowcase!...I have two fleeces that need washing...I will test some to make sure my wool cycle is good...Do you have a top loader or front loader?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tahara
    I have a front loader. Yes, best to try a bit as an experiment first and see how the fleece turns out and to see how gentle your wool cycle is on your particular machine.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete