
We keep big patches of nettles growing on the outskirts of our garden. For one, they are excellent for wildlife. So many insects love nettles particularly ladybirds and we so love to watch and admire the insect going-ons in the warmer months. It is also perfect for nettle tea, nettle soups, nettle mice and natural dyeing.
Nettles are a very nutritious food that is easily digested and is high in minerals (especially iron) and vitamins (especially A and C). Only use the young leaves and always wear thick gloves when picking to avoid being stung. Cooking the leaves, or thoroughly drying them, neutralises the sting, making them safe to eat.
We harvested the tender young leaves of nettles and enjoyed nettle tea. The little ones enthusiastically gulped the warm tea down mostly because they had been so involved in the process of picking and preparing the tea. That makes the tea taste just wonderful to them.

Nettle tea:
Pick a bunch of nettles, and rinse. Place the leaves in a teapot, pour in boiled water. Leave to brew and cool a little. Drink and be energised.
Who would have known! But, K is so scared of nettles, having been stung ONCE, I'm sure her overactive imagination would go beserk and she would think her throat was on fire! I would like a try, though!
ReplyDeleteHow interesting! I don't think I've even heard of nettles before... ?? I'll have to check into that. It would be fun to see if we have any in this area and try to make some tea with them.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you harvest your own nettles! The tea is so nourishing. I drank lots of it during my pregnancies. Lovely pics!
ReplyDeleteOurs are still dried up from last year - not nearly that many leaves, yet!!
ReplyDelete