"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Pineapple Plant

We are attempting to grow a pineapple plant.  

Pineapple tops will grow into spiky plants.  Pineapples come from the tropics where they produce just one pineapple from the centre of each plant.  Apparently, pineapple fruits were grown successfully in English greenhouses 150 years ago so we shall try and see what happens with this one!

We saved the topknot off a pineapple.  Mixed equal quantities of sand and potting compost, filled a pot with the mixture and put the pineapple top in the pot and covered the fleshy part with compost.  We watered well and tied a plastic bag over the top to keep warm and moist.  After a week or two, we hope to notice new growth and can then remove the bag.  Don't know if we will actually get a fruit off it but if we manage to get it to grow into a plant, that will be a success!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly

    I tried this in our hot house 2 years ago. I must say I never put the plastic bag over it. I would like to try this too.

    Wow so many ideas today.

    Thanks
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know if your plant continues to grow and also if you get fruit from it.

    Right now we are attempting to grow avocados, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will let you know if we get any new growth with the pineapple plant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh! I have tried to grow a pineapple before by putting the bottom in water...didn't work, just stunk up the place. I am going to try your way! It is the coolest thing to get new plants from our produce! Have your tried potatoes indoors....I posted about it in January. Potatoes beautiful vines and in a few months you can dig up little potatoes. I love your site!

    ReplyDelete