"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Paper making

Since we have been spending time celebrating Chinese New Year, I thought it would be fun to have a go at making paper with the children, seeing as the Chinese were considered the first to develop paper making techniques.  

So last week we made paper!  Our first attempts were surprisingly easy and fun!  Basically, we tore up into little pieces a few sheets of junk mail, put these into the blender with some water and blended this up to a pulp.  We poured the pulp onto a meshed frame immersed in water in the sink and then carefully lifted this out and placed the frame onto a dishcloth.  We sponged away excess water.

Then we carefully lifted the newly created sheet of paper out of the frame and used a rolling pin to roll out more water.

After that, we placed our sheet of paper in a warm place to dry out.  Sol was very pleased with his sheets of paper!

I made a sheet using onion skins which was interesting!

This is a fun way to recycle all sorts of paper and other materials and there are so many interesting possibilities to experiment with. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly

    Paper making can be so rewarding. Now if you lived in our part of the world, you could add in some elephant dung. It makes a good texture and colour. I have also seen fine viola's added to the wet process.

    I think I will give papermaking another go. Valentines coming soon.

    Warm regards
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made paper YEARS ago...I doubt my youngest even remembers doing it. We should give it a go again. I like the onion skins, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzanne and Tammy
    Paper making is fun. We will try it out again too. A good way of recycling also.

    Rgds
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete