"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages

Friday, 24 October 2008

Peg loom weaving and spinning.

In the spring, my love for spinning began.  I have acquired at least 14 gorgeous fleeces - mostly rare breeds all from a rare breeds farm here in the Cotswolds - Portland, Jacob, North Ronaldsay, Soay, Herdwick and Cotswold.  The Cotswold is gorgeous and truly majestic - I will keep this for a special project.

Anyhow, I'm getting along well with the drop spindle and slowly getting better with the spinning wheel.  I adore spinning - it is so therapeutic.  Sitting by a fire spinning.  Remember that children's rhyme,  'Cross patch draw the latch, sit by the fire and spin..' The children love the wheel spinning about.  I am spinning Portland at the moment.

The gorgeous varied colours of the Jacob - blacks, whites, greys and browns - are wonderful for peg loom weaving so I am weaving a big, long rug for our passage which has stone floors.  Nearly finished it.



Sol has a peg loom set up too and he is slowly weaving a small blanket.
When my rug is finished I shall start on an Autumn Hues rug using wool I have dyed with natural dyes from plants I have harvested this autumn.  Rosehips produced a soft peachy colour, and privet a creamy yellow.  I will also use a chestnut brown wool I dyed with a black tea, a blend of Kenyan and Assam teas.

2 comments:

  1. so amazingly beauctiful .. oh how I wish I could spin, must have a go with a drop spindle .. love knitting with the yarn

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely! I have just bought a spinning wheel and I am very excited to learn how to use it, I am only spinning with a drop spindle at the moment.

    Warm regards

    Linda

    ReplyDelete